Sanergy is an award-winning social venture based in Nairobi, Kenya. We undertake three exciting lines of work:
- We provide safe, sustainable sanitation services to residents living in urban informal settlements in Nairobi and Kisumu utilized non-sewered sanitation systems. Watch here!
- We utilize the principles of the circular economy to manage sanitation and organic waste, which we convert into insect-based protein for animal feeds, organic fertilizer, and biomass fuels. We operate the largest organics recycling plant in East Africa. Watch here!
- We advise cities and governments on how to better serve their citizens with safe sanitation and waste management services.
Operational since 2011, Sanergy now serves over 140,000 people living in low-income areas with safe sanitation services. Sanergy collects and treats over 12,000T of waste per year, and successfully sells its agricultural end products to farmers, who are seeing improved yields and increased incomes. At the same time, we have built a team of over 350 people. For our work, we have been recognized by the Gates Foundation as an SDG Goalkeeper, by Fast Company as one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World Doing Social Good and one of the 10 Best Companies in Africa, and by Ashoka and the Food Planet Prize.
Job Purpose Statement
We are an increasingly sophisticated, highly intricate organization with many moving parts. The Sanergy Fellows Program seeks driven individuals who will make substantive contributions to the organization. Sanergy Fellows work in one of the following departments:
- Research and Design for Waste Re-Use Technologies – Organic Fertilizer, Insect Protein, Biomass Fuels, Alternative Waste Streams
- Engineering - Electrical, Chemical, Civil, Mechanical
- Sales and Operations – Sanitation Hardware, Waste Management Services, and Agricultural Inputs
- Operations - Supply Chain Services, Logistics, Quality and Safety, Laboratory
- Product and Service Delivery Design
- External Relations: Business Development, Communications, Policy & Advocacy
- Talent, Legal, Finance, IT + Administrative Services
More qualitatively, we are looking for people who have the desire to take on a new challenge in a pioneering context. We are on the cusp of transformative change and we seek people who believe their knowledge and skills will bring about that change.
- Masters or Undergraduate Degree or Diploma in the relevant field
- Strong problem solving skills
- Strong time management, organizational, and prioritization skills
- Excellent communication skills on all levels
- Relentless desire to improve yourself, your team, and your organization;
- A collaborative mentality
As Sanergy expands, many new projects are on the horizon. The experience gleaned by fellows from their time at Sanergy will benefit them for many years to come. We are looking for fellows with the desire, determination and energy to spend May to August with s pushing the frontiers of innovation. We recognize that COVID-19 may restrict travel to Kenya. We are flexible and will work with candidates to find a workable solution and to make sure they get a great taste of our culture. Join us!
To apply, please submit here a cover letter clearly indicating your available start date (include notice period), your interest in this role, and your resume/CV that includes a list of three referees by 31st March 2021. Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.